Case Study – AR Packaging
Air Compressor Servicing for AR Packaging, Rotherham
A recent maintenance call to AR Packaging’s Rotherham factory highlighted the importance of routine servicing in protecting against breakdowns.
AR Packaging is part of Graphic Packaging, a global manufacturer with factories across Europe, Indonesia and Nigeria. The Rotherham site produces paper cups, lids and tubes for the company’s FMCG customer base, and specialises in ice cream, ice lolly and yoghurt containers.
A routine service of AR Packaging’s 45kw Avelair air compressor revealed two oil leaks – one from the oil seal at the drive shaft, the other from the oil tank gaskets. Our challenge was to fix the issues before the leaks led to a breakdown and a corresponding loss of production time.
Just to compound the problem, the compressor was running rather hot. Through a full service and by resolving the leaks, our engineer aimed to reduce the running temperature, helping to protect compressor longevity and further reduce the risk of breakdown.
Algar Air’s engineer took apart the air end face cover to expose the oil seal, collar and outer seal. Then he:
- Checked that all screws/rotors remained in good condition
- Ground and knocked the collar off the shaft before pressing out the oil seal
- Cleaned and rubbed down the faces of the casing and shaft
- Put a new collar on the shaft and tapped it into position
- Placed a new seal in the air end casing, married up the locating screws and put a new outer seal in position before tightly rebolting everything
- Drained the oil tank and replaced all gaskets on the bolted flange
- Tested the air compressor
Following his actions, all leaks stopped and the air end and oil tank were brought back into full working order. The service and repair also resolved the temperature issue, which dropped to 75° from its previous 90°.